Strawberry Banana Smoothie (gluten-free recipe)
The warmer weather and increased outdoor activity always inspires me to eat healthier. I whipped up a homemade Strawberry Banana Smoothie this morning before work which I wanted to share because it turned out pretty tasty! Like any smoothie recipe, omit/ add in additional ingredients as you wish. Also, I don’t like using ice in my smoothies as I feel it waters it down and makes it too cold to drink immediately which I love to do!
Note: all measurements are approximate
- 8 strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 medium to large banana, sliced in medium pieces
- 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk (or use any milk i.e. rice, coconut, regular cow’s milk)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons gluten-free oats (I love Bob’s Red Mill!)
1. Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minutes or until thoroughly mixed.
2. Serve in a glass & enjoy!
Next time I’ll be sure to add in some blueberries and/or raspberries (my other favorite berries!).
High Fiber Fruit/ Veggie Juice aka Cleans-You-Out
I recently saw an acupuncturist and she suggested making a high fiber fruit/ veggie juice that’s good for my blood/ Qi (very Boulder I know). So I promptly bought some beets, carrots, apples, and ginger. This recipe is easy and tastes surprisingly good (read: sweet) given the ingredients. The beets give this juice a wonderfully dark red color (True Blood anyone?). You’ll need a juicer and a big glass. Warning: make sure you’ve got nothing planned for the morning after you consume this because it cleans you out (TMI I know).
- 2 small to medium beets, greens removed, skin left on, diced
- 2 medium carrots, ends removed, unpeeled, diced
- 1 apple (any kind), cored, unpeeled, diced
- 1 slice of raw ginger, unpeeled
1. Using a juicer, slowly push all ingredients through the juicing mechanism.
2. Sip slowly and enjoy!