Costco amount of bananas = the perfect excuse to make 2 giant loaves of GF banana bread! I modified the recipe from the King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion cookbook to make it GF. The bread is moist and delicious, enjoy!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 to 3 very ripe, large bananas)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 2/3 cups GF all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream (*I used nonfat greek yogurt)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, and oil. Mix in the mashed bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together and then sift (*these must be well mixed) the baking soda, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Add all at once to the banana mixture, and combine thoroughly.
- Stir in the yogurt until well combined.
- Pour the batter in a greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (*At higher altitudes, baking time will be longer. I ended up adding on ~20 minutes of baking time!)
- If the bread starts to brown too fast, then tent it with aluminum foil (roughly 40-50 minutes in the oven depending on your oven/ where you live).
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.