Gluten-free Southwestern Chicken Bake (Recipe)
This dish is one of my boyfriend’s favorites, so I made it for him last night! This time I added a layer of crushed tortilla chips and cheese on top, which added an tasty layer of crunchiness.
*Adapted from SouthernFood.About.com
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped/ diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (11 to 15 ounces) Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red or chipotle pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill) OR all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 cup milk (I use organic 2%)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup crushed tortilla chips (I use the organic ones from Costco)
- 1/2 to 1 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and ensure rack is in middle of oven.
2. Spray a 2-quart glass casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix rice, chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, and hot pepper.
4. In a small pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until mixed and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
5. Stir the flour butter mixture into the chicken rice mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, and other seasoning as desired (I add more of everything except salt!).
6. Pour mixture into casserole dish, sprinkle top with layer of crushed tortilla chips, then top chips with cheese.
7. Put in oven, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
7. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, and/or chopped green onions if you’d like.