This dish is one of my boyfriend’s favorites, so I made it for him last night! This time I added a layer of crushed tortilla chips and cheese on top, which added an tasty layer of crunchiness.
*Adapted from SouthernFood.About.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and ensure rack is in middle of oven.
2. Spray a 2-quart glass casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix rice, chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder, and hot pepper.
4. In a small pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until mixed and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
5. Stir the flour butter mixture into the chicken rice mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, and other seasoning as desired (I add more of everything except salt!).
6. Pour mixture into casserole dish, sprinkle top with layer of crushed tortilla chips, then top chips with cheese.
7. Put in oven, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
7. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, and/or chopped green onions if you’d like.
If you’re craving a delicious gluten-free snack, then I highly recommend Udi’s gluten-free Chocolate Chia Muffin-Tops! These tasty gluten-free snacks are moist, crunchy due to the chia seeds and chocolatey because of the chocolate chips. They rock! They’re also soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and are only 150 calories with 6g fiber per muffin top. Go get yourself a package of these yummy gluten-free treats today!
One of my favorite snacks (especially pre-exercise) are Think Thin gluten-free nut bars. They come in a variety of flavors including White Chocolate Dipped Mixed Nuts. They are low sugar, have a good amount of protein (usually 10g per bar), and some fiber. The White Chocolate flavor is part of their Crunch line, so it’s crunchy (of course), sweet and moist. The white chocolate is the perfect complement to the nuts, and is very satisfying as a snack. I usually eat mine with a piece of fruit as a mid-afternoon snack.
They also make a line of High Protein gluten-free bars which I love, especially the Creamy Peanut Butter flavor (20 g of protein, 0 g sugar). So, if you’re looking for a tasty gluten-free bar, try a Think Thin gluten-free bar asap!
Apple Cinnamon Chex gluten-free of course is coming soon! YESSSSS!
Gluten-free Egg & Cheese Quesadilla made with Rudi’s Gluten-free Tortillas