Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Coq Au Vin (adapted from The Wheat Belly Diet recipe)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour (I assume you can use regular flour or cornstarch here if you wanted to make it gluten-ful)
- 1 cup dry red wine or chicken broth (we used chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence (mispronounce this, it’s fun)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (we used chicken breasts)
- 1/2 pound frozen pearl onions, thawed (we omitted this ingredient)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 6 slices bacon, coarsely chopped (mmm…bacon)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In the slow cooker pot, whisk the tomato paste with the coconut flour until the flour dissolves.
- Whisk in the wine or broth, herbs, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Add the chicken, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and garlic. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve over white rice.